Puedes leer este artículo en español, aquí.
When traveling by air, whether I am going away on vacations or on a business trip, I choose to travel the light way. I find most practical to bring along a small bag (a duffel, a back-pack or a small carry-on suitcase, depending on length of trip) to keep under the seat in front of me or in the compartment above my seat, instead a suitcase to check. My experience has proven time and again that doing so has more benefits than downsides. I list a few of its pros next.
1. THERE'S NO NEED TO BE AT THE AIRPORT HOURS BEFORE YOUR DEPARTURE Allowing extra time to go through security lines at airports is aggravating enough, so why add to it at least another 15-30 minutes to make sure your suitcase is checked before the flight closes? Bear in mind that you would need even more time if you're flying out of a large/busy gateway or during peak travel hours.
2. YOU WON'T HAVE TO WAIT AT BAGGAGE CLAIM WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT YOUR DESTINATION As soon as you go through immigration and customs (if you're traveling abroad), you'll be set to go and start right away with your trip agenda. Be it changing into your bathing suit to hit the beach for some relax or preparing for your first business meeting, you will waste no time. Remember, it's all about making the most of your trip!
3. IT WILL BE EASIER TO CHANGE YOUR ITINERARY LAST MINUTE, SHOULD YOU NEED TO Something came up last minute and you need to postpone your departure or change your route entirely? No problem! You will have everything you brought along with you so you'll be able to focus on just making any necessary flight arrangements and adjustments, without having the extra worry about the whereabouts of your luggage.
4. YOU'LL LEARN TO PACK EFFICIENTLY Believe me, when you're limited by the size of the bag on what to bring along, automatically you become much more efficient when packing. True, it may require some more planning ahead but, in exchange, you'll bring along only what is absolutely necessary for your trip. At first you may still pack a couple of extra things, but I promise you'll get better at it the more you do it.
5. YOU WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE AIRLINE LOSING YOUR LUGGAGE Yes, I've been there and it's not fun at all (you can read my post about that experience here). When that happens, unavoidably you have to dedicate some time to sorting things out and you take the chance of being left without clothes and other essentials for at least a part of your stay. When you haven't checked your bag, however, this possibility is just out.
In conclusion, it is worth choosing to bring along a smaller wardrobe on your next trip: when it comes to packing for your travels, less is definitely more!